Sunday, September 11, 2011

I'm a finisher! (I have a medal to prove it!)

After almost 3 months of ups, downs, injuries, insomnia, and crazy running dreams, I have completed my first half marathon! Woooooo! It was a beautiful course down Payson canyon. They had campfires going up at the start to help us keep warm before the race started. Everyone is so friendly at races. I was there by myself but I was surrounded by my "running family". We started running as the sun was coming up. It was a nice downhill course, not too steep but it really helped my time. I managed to average an 11:27 minute mile for the race, a full minute per mile faster than my training times. I love you gravity. I was feeling pretty good until about mile 10, then the course started leveling out and some fatigue set in. The last 3 miles took some mental manipulation, especially since there were a few little hills to go up. I had it in my head that as long as I finished in under 3 hours, I'd be okay. I was able to surprise myself by finishing in two and a half hours! Now I have a PR in place to try and beat :)  The Halloween Half is coming up, and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment