Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I read a lot, cats and kittens.

Sometimes I like to address a group as "cats and kittens". I blame Dinosaur Comics. So anyway, I was looking around at the stacks and mounds and even piles of books in my home. And I've noticed a strange proliferation of running books. I thought to myself, "self, maybe we should write up some reviews on these books, let the other runners out there know what to spend their rest days reading." I have 5 running books in my possession at this time. I'll just tackle one at a time, since I have to get up at 4:30 and run. I will also be scoring the books on a Gu scale of 1-5. 5 Gu's is the best.

Tonight's book review is on The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide For Women by Dawn Dais. I wanted to start with this one because it made me laugh out loud more that once (of course while I was at work, reading on my lunch break and having coworker's wonder what was so funny).  This book is a great quick read, I finished it in just a day and a half. Her journal entries are absolutely hilarious. And she says a lot of what I'm thinking as I'm out there pounding the pavement. She has some good advice sprinkled throughout. One of my favorite parts was the stick figure illustrations of running stretches. I was trying to drink a protein shake while reading through that part and nearly shot brownie batter muscle milk right out my nose. I highly recommend this book to anyone who isn't a perky runner. It's a book for those of us with a nice, wide, sarcastic streak. And I bestow a rating of 5 Gu's to Ms. Dais and her entertaining account of marathoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment