Saturday, April 14, 2012

I spend a lot of time running...

So I've started ramping up the mileage in preparation for the marathon on June 9th. Last week I logged my first 18 mile run. The run itself took over 4 hours, so with driving to the trail head, walking to warm up, walking to cool down, stretching, and driving back home, we're talking a time commitment of almost 6 hours. This is most of a work day. Today's 19 miler was closer to home, so that cut the drive time down, but the total workout time was still around 5 hours. Yikes.

There's a running book I read that said you shouldn't have to do a long run over 3 hours in order to complete a marathon. I think that's complete idiocy. My anticipated finish time for the marathon is at least 5 hours, so if I only teach my body to run for 3 hours, it's going to have a total shut down/freak out after than 3 hour mark. So I'm spending most of my Saturdays out there, hitting the pavement, and going slower than ever. My pace has gotten markedly slower since I've started these longer distances.

This is one of those days where I have to wear my comfiest race shirt and fondle my finisher medals to remind me why I bother spending all this time running around in circles.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment