Monday, September 17, 2012

Top of Utah Marathon

Running is teaching me things. Things like running 26.2 miles is really hard. The first 18 or so are kind of fun really, but then things go south. After mile 18, I start wondering why. Why am I doing this? Why did I think this would be a good way to spend my Saturday morning? Why does everyone in the entire world run faster than I do? Why do I keep signing up for races with a time limit I can't beat?

I know that all sounds pretty negative. But that's what went through my head on this, my third full marathon. But here's the thing. I'm not sorry about doing it. I'm not sorry that I am questioning things like my motivation, among other things. I probably should figure out why, in the last year, I have gone from an anti-runite, to a full blow insane race running fool. The current top theory is that I'm trying to fill a void in my life. Perhaps this is true. At least filling it with a healthy activity is much better than the other things I could be doing? But then again, this is only a theory. I have realized that I am in love with the idea of running. I have a runner's mind, just not a runner's body. Maybe one of these days the twain shall meet.

Enough of that for now, on to the race report. The Top of Utah Marathon has some really lovely parts. Basically, the first 19 miles are pretty delightful. Then it turns boring. And hilly. I don't really enjoy running hills at the end of a marathon. I'm not that level of crazy yet. We spent the last 7 miles running through blase neighborhoods. The final insult came at mile 23 when we had to run right past the finish arch for another 3 miles. There's nothing like the mental blow that comes from seeing the end and knowing you're still so far away.

I was doing quite well those first 18 miles. Sure, I was a little tired, but I was on track to finish in under 6 hours. But all the hills, boring scenery, and fatigue caught up with me and I finished in 6:31:22. I wish I could just get to the point where the last bit of a marathon wasn't so rough. I hope I get to that point before two weeks from now. I've got another one to run down the Monte Cristo canyon in Huntsville. And that one has a strict 6 hour limit... It's a good thing the whole race is downhill, I just might make it.




I know this hasn't been the peppiest of blogs, but look at the pictures. I'm smiling. During and after even. I guess it really wasn't that bad then, huh.

Happy running everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment