Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Marathon training has begun!

It's official boys and girls. Marathon training started on the 6th! I have my schedule all planned out and I'm doing my darndest to follow it. Week one had a bit of a snafu with my tendon, but it seems to be alright now. There's a delightful rant about the whole ordeal on my Daily Mile page if there's anyone who hasn't seen it. I am continuing to work in barefooting where I can (winter makes this a bit tough at times). I've come to think of barefooting as my dessert after running in shoes, so I'll do the bulk of my running in my minimal shoes and then slip them off for the last mile or so. It's still delightful and brings a smile to my face every time.

I have realized that I may have become addicted to races. In the past 2 days I have signed up for 2more half marathons and another full marathon. I have sticky notes all over my computer at work that let me know when registration opens for various races so that I can be sure to sign us as soon as is allowed. I can't imagine the melt down I would have if the race sold out because I dilly-dallied. I have also gotten this crazy idea in my head to run a race in every state in the U.S. So of course, I can't wait to start working those in. I have plans to check Colorado and Nevada off the list before the end of the year. If I had an unending cash flow, I would be checking off even more before 2012 leaves us. And now that I know the Goofy Challenge can be lived through, thanks to the Buzbees for going out and getting it done, I have decided that I need to add this into the race schedule for 2013 (this would check Florida off the list, in style!). Nothing like running a half marathon on Saturday and a marathon on Sunday to feel like a hardcore running machine. And yes, I realize that it may seem a bit nuts to be planning 2013's  race schedule already, but I honestly can't help myself. Ocassionally, I cast my mind back to the girl  I was in high school, the girl who hated to run, who even if being pursued by a bear would have probably just given up and gotten eaten, and I marvel at how far I've come. Life leads us down paths that we didn't see coming, and I for one am glad for it.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment